Wednesday 8 September 2010

Douglas Harper - 1982.

"There are some who speak of a harvester machine. If it comes to using a machine like that, I still need workers, but I can tell you that I will not vagabonds, those they call "apple knockers". Understand me well, I'd like to take vagrants because they're guys hard workers. But if I had a machine to pick fruit, it would have to have an organization, regular hours, work teams and everyone who works at the rate of the harvester. Vagrants would never do that, not even in a million years. They are too independent and they live according to their whims. They must know they can come and go as they please, and work with no one to watch. "


- Douglas Harper, Vagrants northwestern U.S., L'Harmattan, 1998, translated from Good company, 1982.


No comments:

Post a Comment